Friday, June 05, 2009

parties in Sokcho

I'm an early-to-bed kind of guy and I have a son who is early-to-rise so parties aren't as thrilling for me as they used to be.

That might be why I hadn't hear about the June 6th Sokcho Beach Apocalypse party.  Apparently, it is being advertised on Facebook but I couldn't find it.  I will be in Donghae for a staff party so I'm going to miss the excitement here - I wonder if Kwandongwife, who will be on duty at the coast Guard office, will be called in to translate for the police.

updated
When: June 6, 2009 or 6/6/9
What: Beach Blanket Apocalypse (BYOBlankets and Beer)
Where: Sokcho Beach
Who: Every single sweetheart in South Korea and their cousins, brothers, and mothers 
Host: Ryan Scott and Toni Duckworth
NOTE: You may also bring your own tent and sleeping bags and set up during the day. But please NO GLASS.



In July, is another beach party (From Facebook):
Host:
Wes Putman
Type:
Network:
Global
Start Time:
04 July 2009 at 12:00
End Time:
05 July 2009 at 05:00
Location:
Ganseong to Sokcho
Phone:
01058119312
Email:

Description

The day starts with a trip to Hwanjipo beach and spans the next 4 beaches south to Sokcho. Each beach will deserve a bottle of soju being shot off in its honor as we make our way down. Each little beach villiage has a bus stop, and the total cost to Sockho will be 3,000 won. Once we reach Sokcho beach it will be time to go all out and I hope you enjoy the night wherever it takes you!


I hope I am not breaking any Facebook rules pasting their material here.

5 comments:

not-so-quiet mom said...

Those parties aren't exactly our thing either, but I heard there are upwards of 150 planning to attend the one tomorrow night. Of course, if the weather doesn't pan out, I'm sure the numbers will be much lower.

PAKA said...

i'm calling the cops. LOL but i'm with you guys. the prospect of hanging out with more than a 100 drunk foreigner english teachers in their early to mid-20s isn't my idea of a great time.

Anonymous said...

I went to BBA this weekend and it was completely great and drama-free - no scandals, no arrests, just good socializing and sleeping on the beach. Not sure if there are any official numbers, but I'd say there were almost 200 people at the height. We're not all fratboys, PAKA - a few drinks on the beach with a bonfire and a guitar doesn't have an age limit, don't be so quick to write us off.

not-so-quiet mom said...

Someone went to City Hall and got approval ahead of time, by the way. That's where the "no glass" rule came from. Also, at least one of the organizers cleaned up afterward. They were responsible and respectful.

kwandongbrian said...

"don't be so quick to write us off."
My apologies. I don't know if I am becoming a cranky old man, but i did expect trouble and I can't really say why. Hopefully I have not been swayed by the newspaper reports -amplified (and mocked) by bloggers like myself- of ESL teachers as holigans.

I had a great time on the weekend and can honestly say I am glad others did, too. My compliments to the organizers and I hope I can attend a future party of this sort. I know that I cannot attend the American Independence Day party described in this blog post.