Thursday, June 18, 2009

Who are the 'ad boycott victims'?

This is a serious question on my part.  I think that some time ago, a group or groups decided to publicly boycott various products - because the ads were on a controversial TV show?
I know that truth is no defense against libel - Product A isn't as good as product B, even if true, is an actionable statement.

Putting these together, I don't know if the people who urged boycotts -and may now face charges, or the makers of the boycotted products or the advertisers of those products are the 'victims'.  I think boycotting a product would financially affect the makers of that product, but that boycotts are a legitimate form of protest.

Anyway, if you think you are a victim, there is now a boycott victim relief centre.  Maybe it is for you, maybe not.
hmm, I can't think of a good label for this as economic policy is outside the normal bounds i have placed on this blog.

No comments: