Monday, June 22, 2009

In scenic Jeju, you can enjoy exotic Gangwon rice

Korea apparently has a rice surplus situation.  In response, Gangwon province and Chungbuk province are advertising their product in Jeju, where rice does not grow.

I wonder if this has to do with high price of Korean rice.  In the past, Korean rice was priced around eight times higher than imported rice.  The imports, however, paid a tariff, so the cost to the consumer was equivalent.   I don't know if this is still the case.

I might have another post or two before I go, but this issue of pricing has inspired me to do some investigative journalism.  Tomorrow, I will go to Canada, with a list of Korean food prices - rice, veggies, ... and compare them to those in Canada.  I might do a few other things while I am there.  Expect a few posts from 'GeorgianBayBrian' in the next month but I warn you of light blogging ahead.

No comments: