Thursday, March 03, 2005

Yangyang Airport in the news again

In a previous post, I wrote about flights in and out of Yangyang airport (there aren't very many).

In a January editorial (I'm a little late noticing it) about government selfishness and, I think, pork-barrelling, I saw this very accurate description:

There are innumerable cases where lawmakers try to
get money for "exhibitionist" projects that would win
them popularity and votes among their constituents but
eventually waste taxpayers' money. The airports in
Yangyang and Muan are such cases: They have become
obsolete because of lack of demand.

Despite being a virtual ghosttown most of the day, the Yangyang airport now hosts charter flights and tours to Japan, by the way.

Anyway, the article was short and mostly about abuse of highway building funds. In my opinion, there's a lot of that going on around here, as well; a lot of overpasses and bridges really leading nowwhere.

No comments: