Monday, April 17, 2006

Great work, Laurie!

Gangwon Kotesol participant and acquaintance of mine, Laurie Malcolmson was featured in an editon of last week's Korea Times. Although he looks fit, he is a quiet guy and I had no idea he's the real deal when it comes to athletics. I hope I didn't brag about my own (now long-past) prowess in front of him.
Here is an exerpt:

Laurie Malcolmson has been running for as long as he can remember. When asked why he started running, he replies, ``I dunno. I grew
up on a farm, and I just started running. I guess it was the natural thing to do.’’He set the New Zealand record for the 100-meter dash, an amazing 10.4 seconds, more than 30 years ago. It has only barely been broken to this day, and at the ripe age of 56 he is still one of the fastest _ at least in his age category _ men alive, clocking the 100_meter dash in a hair under 12 seconds.


The blond, blue-eyed, soft-spoken Kiwi who lives and teaches English in Donghae, Kangwon Province, has raced against the best in track and field competitions all over the world. He recently returned from his native New Zealand, where he placed first in an international masters’ decathlon event entailing a 100-meter dash, long jump, shot put, high jump and 400-meter dash on the first day, followed by 110-meter hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin and 1,500-meter run on the second day.

No comments: